Dell Computer
Dell Computer

15 March 2006

for Jen...and Wil

When you made me breakfast

I was already awake and listening to you
As you walked down the hall and showered
And made coffee

Sitting on that porch
On that particular day
With the easy breeze and sunshine
Some comments about thoughtlessness
And how our dog's return our love

You on the steps and me
There by that old copy of Walden
On a Goodwill-college-apartment love seat

We sat and talked in front of an open window
(even though the heat was on)
Bitching about how he always knew it all
And that you couldn't tell him anything

Planning a beach trip for the dogs
When the night before you had
Only felt like crying

You broke my heart and when I left
I could feel each person's thoughts
As I drove by

Through alien streets
That felt so familiar

Late in the afternoon
When the light is perfect
And even when I hadn't said goodbye
I wanted to spend those hours with you

That's when it's easy to get lost in the urge
To rescue the dour heart
But you only need a Sunday paper
And enough daylight to dread tomorrow

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home