Dell Computer
Dell Computer

22 May 2006

Rake at the Gates of Hell

"We watched out friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell"
-Shane McGowen

I don't think there was ever a time
You didn't know just what to do
I remember you told me once
about a time you were handed currency
and asked for a favor
some hands, a truck and dirty Chicago streets
and you made it happen

I've always admired that about you
Whenever things seem impossible
There's your solution

Dangerous Habits follow you around
a rake at the gates of hell
but you're a step ahead, seeing
the exit before it becomes too late

Maybe it was the cigarettes
but that fell outside the control
that might be why you quit; that need to be in control
never letting anything else
dictate what you do, decide
you ARE the decider

I wonder sometimes
how much respect you can have
for anyone else
you're stronger, more aware, more in touch
and can remove yourself
make a decision when we're all frantic
and afraid

I bet you touched the stove with impunity
in spite of warnings, and several burned fingers

1 Comments:

Blogger ilightyouup said...

Your poetry is strong.

What would you say if i told you everything you know about me is a carefully scripted, meticulousley thought out, rarely spontaneous reinterpretation of my true reality?

That I am not always one step ahead.

That I have been lucky... a lot.

I am touched, deeply. At least my flog (short for lifelog, pertaining to the way an individual lives his life and therefore is perceived by others) has one true fan!

Do you ever feel like that?

Be all that you can be.... or better yet, all you can dream and pretend to be!

RGS

5/25/2006 12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home