Dell Computer
Dell Computer

02 April 2006

Wil--with one L

It was raining the day I met you
a six-stringed philosopher
Tilted-your chair leaned precariously

Decked out in musty flannel
And dirty tennis shoes
your voice spoke

Crackling rusticity
Reeking of Virginia mountains
And small country radio stations

Your voice as much an instrument
As the second-hand guitar
You carted around

It's resonance
giving testimony to your
carpenter's call

While Old Grand Dad kept us awake
with bourban dreams
Tears and bags of microwave popcorn

Never felt easy with you
Always a challenge to be your friend
And take the critical eye

So I'll remember you with my ponytail
Instead of songs or back porch confessions

You always said
I was deeper than that

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is interesting how that poem has changed with a decade or so worth of rumination.
You're a lovely fucker, McD.

4/05/2006 6:14 PM  
Blogger ilightyouup said...

You took my advice and didn't compromise your work. Nice work McD! I am pleased. Not that you care how i feel about your work. Nonetheless, i am pleased.

RGS

4/06/2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger ilightyouup said...

”I see Him as the Lone Prophet,”
These are words I agree with.
“He is the elder, the old soul
That we admire… that we are drawn to.”

His is a singular soul,
One that we fear,
He is the Leader, the Teacher,
That we fear to accept.

“His emotion is too pure,”
According to others,
Too rich in reality,
Too hard to discuss.

Your knowledge superceeds
Your presence,
How odd to be worshiped
By an unknown.

JB & BF

4/11/2006 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm compelled to share here the version of the poem you gave me a couple of years ago:

A six-stringed philosopher
Tilted--your chair
leans precariously

It was raining the day I met you
decked out in musty flannel
and dirty tennis shoes
You greeted me with

Crackling rusticity
your voice spoke West Virginia
small country radio stations
reeking of broadcast

You sang of heartache and angry
Women
The rapture, big black dogs--

While Old Grand Dad kept us awake
with bourbon dreams
Tears and bags of microwave popcorn
As we healed ourselves
Your Voice as much an instrument
as the second hand guitar
you carted around--

Its resonance giving testimony
to your carpenter's call

4/27/2006 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home